31 Jan 2008
Attention: This article has been imported from our old websiteWhile we've taken every precaution to ensure that the content of this article remains intact, it may contain errors.
What is Carbon Offsetting ?
Together with friends at The CarbonNeutral Company they are trying to make it easy for you to balance the CO2 your car produces by investing money to projects which save the equivalent CO2 elsewhere.
One of the world’s leading climate change businesses, helping people and major companies around the world, to measure, reduce and offset their CO2 emissions.
CO2 = Carbon Dioxide – a major greenhouse gas – naturally present in the atmosphere at low levels, but on the increase due mainly to the use of fossil fuels.
The money you pay to offset your car’s CO2 emissions goes to energy efficient and renewable energy projects.
How it works
For every 1kg of CO2 produced by your car each year you pay for 1kg to be saved by a climate friendly project somewhere else in the world – one balancing the other to make your driving carbon neutral.
Simply fill in your details in our easy to use quote engine and we will automatically calculate the tonnes of CO2 your vehicle will produce and the payment you need to make to pay for an equivalent amount of CO2 to be saved – every penny of which goes to a renewable energy project.
Energy derived from sustainable resources such as wind and solar power.
Our environment is under a real threat from
climate change, by offsetting your unavoidable driving emissions you are helping to protect it.
Changes in global or regional climates – which many see as a major threat to the planet’s future.
It’s a small step towards a big change.
I Buy Eco have a few tips for reducing the amount of CO2 you produce each year:
On the road
* Make sure your tyres are at the correct pressure and you could save fuel and approximately 10kg of CO2 every 500 miles.
* Maintain performance and fuel consumption of your car by ensuring it is regularly serviced.
* Reduce your speed ñ 100 tonnes of CO2 would be saved per year if 5000 drivers drove at 60mph instead of 70mph.
* Save 1kg of CO2 in one day by walking or cycling 2 miles to work.
* Save over a tonne of CO2 per year and reduce your fuel costs by car sharing with a colleague who lives in your area.
In the house
* Switch to energy efficient lightbulbs ñ in just 4 days you can save 1kg of CO2 and reduce your home energy bill.
* Fix a dripping tap ñ it will save a massive 90 litres of water per year.
* Re-use or refuse plastic bags. Every year we get through over 8 billion plastic bags.
* Up to 60% of household waste can be recycled ñ find out about the schemes running in your area.
For More Information
If you enjoyed this article, please consider making a donation
Donating helps us keep reporting on positive news