31 Oct 2008
Attention: This article has been imported from our old websiteWhile we've taken every precaution to ensure that the content of this article remains intact, it may contain errors.
‘Giving a Present Aid gift means giving someone else the chance to improve their life. And the best part is Present Aid gifts keep on giving happiness long after they’ve been given.’
Choose to give gift that matter and last this Christmas Present Aid: ethical gifts for all occasions
Present Aid is an ethical gift shop with a difference. Our gifts are virtual. This means you can buy presents for a friend or relative, and the money you pay becomes a donation to Christian Aid.
We send a fun card to the person who you’re buying the gift for, explaining how their gift is going towards changing people’s lives.
The gift you choose ñ be it a basketball for a sports fan or a pair of reading glasses for a book lover ñ represents the kind of projects that benefit from your donation.
Present Aid gifts are designed to delight your loved ones and make a real difference to the lives of people in some of the poorest places on the planet. So this Christmas, show your folks how much you love them by getting dad a goat and mum a beehive. Or you could buy a friend a life-changing birthday present like a duck, a baby buffalo or even a can of worms.
Whatever you choose, you can be sure that a gift from Present Aid is a gift with real meaning and lasting benefits. Have a look at what other people are buying with our list of best-selling products.
“So many kids use sport and music to escape difficult situations.’ says Lemar the singer ‘In some African countries, like Burundi, where there has been long-term conflict, warring factions come together to play football or basketball to ease tension. The basketball, which costs eight pounds from Present Aid, is definitely a gift I would send, knowing it is helping kids in a war-torn country to come together and do something positive instead of fight”
Christian Aid is a development charity working in around 50 countries. Regardless of religion or race, we help people around the world improve their own lives and tackle the causes of poverty and injustice.
We want peace, economic justice and basic rights for all. Working wherever the need is greatest, we use your money in three vital ways:
* Long-term development: we provide clean water, food, healthcare and education, and help people find ways to earn a living. Read more about our development work around the world.
* Responding to emergencies: we help people prepare for and respond to disasters and emergencies of every description. See our current response to crisis situations.
* Campaigning against the root causes of poverty and injustice: From apartheid to landmines, from trade and debt to climate change ñ we campaign for lasting change.Find out more about our current campaigns.
Working in partnership
Everything we do overseas is through local partners, who have deep roots in their own communities and understand the challenges they face. All the virtual gifts in our online shop were designed in consultation with local people to ensure they’re as useful and effective as possible. Find out more about how Present Aid gifts work.
So, how does it work?
Buying an ethical gift for your friends or family could not be easier:
1. Search for the perfect gift online ñby price, person or both. When you find something you like, simply add it to your online shopping basket
2. Once you have finished shopping, view your basket, make any changes and proceed to the checkout.
3. Fill in your contact, delivery and payment information. You will receive a confirmation email once we have received your payment.
4. You or your gift beneficiary will receive your gift card by post 4 to 5 working days later (for mainland UK, or up to 11 days outside the UK).
5. Your lucky gift beneficiary will get a card personalised with your greeting or a blank card can be sent to you so you can write it yourself. The card illustrates how their gift is making a real difference to our projects around the world. They will also be given access to an exclusive web page where they can find out more about our work, watch videos and take action.
So where does the money go?
We understand that when you make a donation to charity, you want to know that your gifts are not going to be squandered. Better still, you would like to know how your money will be used.
Present Aid’s virtual gifts allow you to choose how your money is spent in the fight against poverty.
Each gift is intended to represent the kind of project you will be supporting. So, if you buy brushes and paint for an artistic niece, your money will go towards education and training projects.
Pick out a tap for the handyman in your life, and it will go to our water and environment fund, helping pay for clean water projects that fight disease and make crops grow. Our gifts are grouped into six categories:
Farming Agriculture and livestock (A)
Disaster Emergency and disaster preparedness (E)
Welfare Healthcare including HIV/Aids (H)
Power & Energy Power and energy (P)
Education Training and education (T)
Eco-systems Water and environment (W)
Make your gift count for more
Don’t forget that if you’re a UK taxpayer and you tick the Gift Aid box on the order form, we can claim an extra 28p for every £1 you give.
If you enjoyed this article, please consider making a donation
Donating helps us keep reporting on positive news