As the humanitarian crisis in Calais grows, the media is increasingly dominated with tales of savagery and menace in the refugee camps. But the reality couldn’t be further from the truth, say the many ordinary UK citizens who are taking positive action

The refugee crisis in Calais is escalating rapidly. Around 5,000 refugees are camped out in the northern port town in France, with as many as 150 arriving every day. Nicknamed the ‘Jungle’, conditions at the camp are poor, and authorities are faced with the dilemma of addressing a growing humanitarian crisis without making conditions attractive enough to encourage newcomers.

Pay attention to the mainstream press and you’d be forgiven for thinking the Jungle is awash with violence and thievery, perpetuated by those looking to take advantage of Britain’s generous welfare system. Indeed, according to a YouGov poll, 64% of Londoners think easily-obtainable benefits are the main reason for this exodus to England.

But far from being driven by economic migrants, this crisis is largely about refugees fleeing dictatorial oppression, war and religious extremism – by the end of July this year 62% of those who had reached Europe by boat were from Syria, Eritrea and Afghanistan. Speak to the individuals at Calais themselves, and most will say they want a job, not handouts. Furthermore, speak to those that have visited the camp and they’ll tell you that the so-called ‘Jungle’ is not a place of crime and danger, but a peaceful place of tolerance, solidarity and sharing.

“Speak to the individuals at Calais and most will say they want a job, not handouts.”

Diane Fotheringham, a civilian fundraiser from Glasgow, told The Huffington Post: “It’s a place that’s relaxed and so full of laughter. The only squabbling we saw was kids wanting one of the footballs that we had brought. There was no tension, I’ve rarely felt less threatened in my life.”

This is a sentiment echoed by many charity organisations that have stepped in to help those at the very heart of the crisis – the refugees themselves. But it’s not just charities and official organisations that are taking action; ordinary people from around the UK – tired of waiting for a political solution to this state of emergency – are getting involved to help those that are in need.

People to People Solidarity
PeopleToPeople
People to People Solidarity is a Facebook-centric group that acts as a central hub for those wanting to take practical action in Calais. Here, UK Facebook users can share information and organise trip logistics, with an events stream dedicated to upcoming humanitarian journeys to the Jungle from all corners of the country. Personal, political and religious discussion is discouraged to make space for constructive information sharing, such as the most needed supplies on the ground and the locations of particularly vulnerable refugees who need the most urgent assistance.

Bikes Beyond Borders
BikesWithoutBorders
Cycling offers a sense of freedom, mobility and self-sustainability, and for many people living in the camp a bicycle is an invaluable asset, improving access to basic facilities, many of which are over an hour’s walk away. Bikes Beyond Borders was started by a group of cycle-loving friends who want to help the humanitarian situation by donating bikes and other provisions to the Jungle’s refugees. The group has organised a number of rides from London to Calais across the August bank holiday weekend to get bikes to the camp, but is also looking for support vehicles, general donations and words of encouragement to help along the way.

Jungle Books

JungleBooks

© Jungle Books

Set up by British teacher Mary Jones, Jungle Books (or ‘Livres de la jungle’ in French) is a well-stocked library nestled on the edge of the camp. Just one of the essential services provided at the site on a voluntary basis, the library stocks over 200 books and acts as a support to the camp’s school, where a daily timetable of classes is underway. Speaking to Publishing Perspectives, Jones said: “Many people here are well-educated – they want to get on and they want books that will help them read and write English, apply for jobs, fill-in forms.”
Get involved: Email Mary Jones at [email protected]

Glasgow Solidarity with Calais Migrants

Fotheringhams

© Diane Fotheringham

Increasingly horrified at the “diabolical conditions” forced upon migrants and refugees – many of which are orphaned children and pregnant women – Diane Fotheringham packed a van full of clothes, food, sleeping bags, toiletries and other goods, and drove 500 miles from her Glasgow home to distribute provisions at the camp. Speaking to The Huffington Post, Fotheringham said: “We wanted to show the people living in the Calais camps that people in Britain do care.” Indeed, her crowdfunding page was set up with a goal of £500 – at the time of writing the amount raised stands at £4,500.

The Worldwide Tribe

11825876_1614643852154709_6811661065519043089_n

© The Worldwide Tribe

What started as a documentary-filmmaking mission by travel blogger Jaz O’Hara has swiftly turned into one of the biggest awareness-raising campaigns the Calais refugee crisis has seen to date, attracting 25,000 Facebook likes since the beginning of August alone. Visiting Calais on a weekly basis, O’Hara and her friends meet with those that call the Jungle their (temporary) home, and document the stories of real people at the heart of the issue through colourful Instagram photos and moving stories shared on Facebook. O’Hara aimed to raise £1,000 to provide food, clothing and shelter to those she met, but her crowdfunding efforts have since raised more than £57,000.

Photo title: A Sudanese refugee in Calais with blankets donated by the Worldwide Tribe

Photo credit: © The Worldwide Tribe

• Vivienne Dobbie

Not only are these actions helping the refugees, they have given me my faith back in human nature. I’ve been so appalled bythe callous uncaring words I hear, sadly often from some of my own friends that I really thought the world was beyond redemption. To hear about these amazing, wonderful people and their kindness has re-ignited my belief that there are more good people out there than bad. I am a pensioner on the lowest of incomes but now I can find a way to do something, however small. Thanks.

• David Cunliffe

If genuine “refugees” seeking asylum,they would have sought asylum in Spain,France or Italy, the first “safe” countries they MUST have entered.
    Why traipse over a thousand miles to north France? Because they are heading for the Country that gives the most in benefits?
    It cannot be for safety reasons,they are just as safe in any European Country!

• Pav

How can we help as individuals! Where can we send/bring stuff we would like to donate to those poor people in need, if we don’t chave the chance to drive down to Calais ourselves ?

• Jessica

David, the most common reason is simply that Britain is an English speaking country, which most of these refugees will have at least basic skills in. This means that they would have a better chance of finding work here than in other European countries where the language barrier will be a real obstacle.

• Tom Smith

Hey Pav,

It’s great to hear your enthusiasm and support! I volunteer alongside The Worldwide Tribe’s project “CalAid” – we’re setting up a distribution network to get donations to camps in the longterm. We’ve also got lots on info on the website about other options for donating time/money/items to the cause.

The website is at http://www.calaid.co.uk – thank you so much again for your support!

Tom

• Wendy

Hi David its simply not true that they would get more in benefits here – the UK is pretty low on the European benefits scale!
    They may well be coming to the place that speaks english – as working in Europe is very difficult if you don’t speak the national tongue.
    Also many have friends, or even family, who are already settled in the UK but because they are sisters, or nephews, or whatever, they have no way to assist the asylum seeker with a visa – but have probably offered accommodation if the refugee can get to them.
    This is true for highly educated refugees as well as poverty stricken ones, and all deserve our compassion and support. I am very aware that it is simply a matter of luck that we were were born where we were, and this hasn’t happened to us – as an economic immigrant from africa, a white south african, I have a lot of sympathy for these people.

• Carol Delaney

David Cunliffe – People who have visited the camp say that a large number of people there do not want to come to UK. They are applying for asylum in France; this can take up to two years – they are stuck in the camp while their applications are processed.G2 G9

• janie prince

Hi, how heartening that you are doing this work – thank you. I would love to be involved but have a pretty low tech invovement with the world! ie I dont do facebook . So is there some other way I could know what is going on? Thanks and blessings. Janie

• liz

I wish some of these kind folk would help myself and my son. We are British but are so poor we can’t even pay our electricity bills. There are thousands of poverty stricken British people, on our own doorstep. Home is where charity should begin……just saying.

• Sarah Penninck

David, I’m a UK citizen that has moved to France because I couldn’t afford to live and work in the UK, believe me, if it was measly benefits they were after they’d stay in France…like me!

• Katy

How can I help you Liz?

• Sham

Hi, I would like to make a donation by providing winter clothing and essentials for children but am unsure who is collecting. Is there any body that can guide me towards any charities or organisations that are collecting?

Kind regards

• christina rissen

Me too how can we help you. We too are on a low income but we have enough and can always find a way x

• christina rissen

Hi sham where a outs are you? There are groups I di iduals all over the UK. I could find you a pick up poi t

• Michelle Shine

I’m a homeopath and would like to offer my skills on the ground, one day a week,
    if you think they might be needed.

• Jo Permaul

I am too Michelle, any ideas, contacts? Been considering how to go about this.

• Simon

From a truck drivers point of view it is sometimes difficult to understand all the assistance given to people who regularly break into our trucks en route to Calais. This has happened on a regular basis over the past ten plus years (not sure how long you guys have been helping these people) to us, who are also innocent and just going about our daily jobs. You refer in your article to this being a “big, current, topical issue”. I can assure you it is not current to the drivers who have been subjected to their violence for the years gone by
    We have been regularly subjected to £2000 fines per person found on our trailers despite doing all we can to deter and stop them from entering. We are given specific instructions on how to secure our trailers and what to look for before entering Calais and going through the UKBA. As most drivers are well aware this is a pointless exercise when you are dealing with people who, although desperate, are armed with knives, clubs, bolt cutters and many other weapons they seem to have accumulated/been given over the years.
    We regularly have padlocks broken, trailers cut open, roofs cut etc. Most drive for large companies and it is these companies who have to swallow the cost of a load of food that has been contaminated and therefore destroyed. A few are owner operators who have one truck and trailer. When their load is delayed or destroyed, or illegal immigrants are found on board upon entering the UK, very often that is the end of their business.
    We regularly sit in traffic jams miles long after these people storm the port and cause a backlog along the roads approaching Calais. All very organized and pre-planned. We are unable to fight back as it doesn’t take much of a mathematician to work out that a one-kilometer long line of trucks will equal to about 60. That’s 60 drivers (of all nationalities) who would then have to get together in order to defend a few trucks, thus leaving their own vehicle vulnerable to attack. Remember, that’s just one kilometer. Sometimes there are many kilometers of trucks left vulnerable to attack for more than 24 hours at a time
    So this is highly likely not to happen against what we already know to be thousands of people who, as you point out, are desperate and have nothing to lose. Roughly translated that means we are left out on the road, open to attack and unable to call for police assistance because as we are all well are, the French police, are far outnumbered by these illegal immigrants.
    You may see images about Operation Stack in Kent where sometimes there are portaloos set up on the side of the road and water is sometimes distributed. This does not happen in France.
    Let’s not forget, these people are illegal immigrants, not migrants. A desperate migrant will try to obtain some form of asylum in the first safe country they get to. As we are all well aware, the UK is most definitely NOT the first country they have arrived at.
    I can see where I would sympathise with somebody who has fled a war torn area with their family in order to better their life or even save their life. I can sympathise with anybody who wants to get away from somewhere like Iraq wherev they once worked as an interpreter and now their family has been killed and the UK government has done nothing to help after using them.
    I can sympethise with the woman who, as a doctor, took her two children and fled Syria after seeing her patients be killed because she was helping them.
    Do these people need help, hell yes they need help and deservedly so. While you are there, distributing another load of goodies, do you ever wonder if the people you are “helping” are the desperate ones or just the economic opportunists?
    It’s really no wonder why people have had enough of the “do-gooders” who constantly seek to assist the minority in Calais when there are plenty of people in the UK who could do with some help.
    There are plenty of ex-servicemen and pensioners who would dearly love to be helped with some new shoes, clothing and food in any town in the UK
    I am trying not to come across as the archetypal knuckle dragging truck driver that we are portrayed as, but am simply trying to make you see that we too are on the receiving end of this European political problem and have been for over ten years now.
    It strikes me that if it were not for the huge disruption to peoples holidays by car or coach this summer then the whole thing would have past unnoticed. Maybe that’s where the line was drawn for the many people flocking to assist. Delays at the docks must have been terrible for a few hours, quite how people coped I can’t imagine, oh hang on a minute, yes I can because we’ve been coping with this for years.
    In some ways, due to the attacks on us, it could almost be seen as aiding and abetting but as long as we keep trolling out the line “but they’re desperate” then I guess it’s OK for us to be attacked. ‘d like to think it was just a minority who attack us but I can assure you David Cameron used the right word when he said swarms
    Personally I have been to Iraq, Kenya, Tanzania and Ethiopia so have seen peoples desperation at first hand. I am not immune to their difficulties and struggles.
    When we drive into Calais in our trucks, please remember that have been subjected to assaults for many years now, consequently it is difficult to sympathise when we see our own country men and women flying to the assistance of people who regularly attack us.
    One more thing, I and many of my driver friends have regularly written to our MP’s and are equally frustrated with the situation as you appear to be.

• Claire

Currently I am in Penzance, I have really nice kids stuff pants tights, arty bits and boys pants t shirts soap toothbrushes towels etc where can I drop off to kos, or calais?

• Tom Lawson

Dear readers,

We are currently looking for people who have taken, or who are planning to take, refugees into their home as part of a wider feature on housing initiatives to help the current refugee crisis. We would love to hear from Positive News readers who are personally acting on this important issue.

If so, and you are happy to be contacted by a Positive News journalist, please get in touch by emailing: [email protected] with further details on your situation.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
    Tom Lawson
    Assistant editor – Positive News
    [email protected]

• Pingback: How Regular People Are Helping Refugees In One Of Western Europe's Largest Camps | Interesting News()

• Pingback: How Regular People Are Helping Refugees In One Of Western Europe's Largest Camps | News Agency()

• Bishop Jonathan Blake

To Calais with love – the beautiful side of human nature

• Mo Jakes

Eighty five percent of Calais migrants are men and draw enormous sympathy from UK women like the editor of Positive News who would not really care if eighty five percent of the migrants were women. This would pose a threat to their sexual security. If the UK Government were to propose a women only migration policy involving an influx of one million women from Africa, Syria, Sudan etc the editor and many women in UK would be horrified at this threat to their status. Psychology does play a major role in the migrant debate. Fortunately the 4000 Calais migrants are in a safe country and have rights to claim asylum in France but would prefer instead to try their luck attempting to enter UK. If you are a woman, would you be happy to accept one million women migrants because many UK men who oppose open door immigration policy would be happy with this plan which would boost the UK population naturally without increasing the crime rate. Basically guys should be able to look after themselves and go away but pretty women are most welcome. Not by your standards Ed. No doubt you will delete my posting as you try to eliminate any negative feedback from the intelligent types, except of course the lorry driver.

• Mo Jakes

The latest report from the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) reveals that the human wave from the Middle East crashing into Europe is made up overwhelmingly of adult males.

As European and American policymakers scramble to articulate policy positions on the spot in the face of a humanitarian disaster, it is important to understand who is trying desperately to get into the West and exactly why they are, even if such analysis will be treated as insensitivity. The fate of millions of human beings as well as the economic burdens for taxpayers in Western countries to assume requires careful thinking and strategizing.

• Mo Jakes

Let me bluntly suggest one possible reason why there are so many males and so few children and women: this is a migrant wave and not a refugee wave. That is, great numbers of men are fleeing countries that are mired in poverty and getting worse economically precisely because they are so ridden with conflict and also because they are governed by economic illiterates and kleptocrats.

They are fleeing poverty because for years Europe has been a haven for economic migrants.
    They are fleeing such areas—as men have done for centuries—not simply because of violence, or they would be taking their families with them. Rather, they are fleeing poverty because for years Europe has been a haven for economic migrants and more lately Europe has allowed unusually large numbers to come in with no policy to deal with a massive upsurge of migration.

I offer no proof for this suggestion; that will require more digging by journalists and more data from people on the ground like the UN, the NGO community and European government officials. Perhaps that is already happening with this report out that the widely publicized drowned Syrian boy might not have been part of a group fleeing war-torn Syria. But until these questions are answered, it is foolish to make policy for this crisis and doubly foolish for European leaders to guilt one another into acting.

• Mo Jakes

A 13-year-old Muslim girl was raped by another asylum seeker at a refugee facility in Detmold, a city in west-central Germany. The girl and her mother reportedly fled their homeland to escape a culture of sexual violence.

Approximately 80% of the refugees/migrants at the shelter in Munich are male… the price for sex with female asylum seekers is ten euros. — Bavarian Broadcasting (Bayerischer Rundfunk).

Police in the Bavarian town of Mering, where a 16-year-old-girl was raped on September 11, have issued a warning to parents not to allow their children to go outside unaccompanied. In the Bavarian town of Pocking, administrators of the Wilhelm-Diess-Gymnasium have warned parents not to let their daughter’s wear revealing clothing in order to avoid “misunderstandings.”

“When Muslim teenage boys go to open air swimming pools, they are overwhelmed when they see girls in bikinis. These boys, who come from a culture where for women it is frowned upon to show naked skin, will follow girls and bother them without their realizing it. Naturally, this generates fear.” — Bavarian politician, quoted in Die Welt.

A police raid on the Munich refugee facility found that guards hired to provide security at the site were trafficking drugs and weapons and were turning a blind eye to the prostitution.

Meanwhile, the raping of German women by asylum seekers is becoming commonplace.

A growing number of women and young girls housed in refugee shelters in Germany are being raped, sexually assaulted and even forced into prostitution by male asylum seekers, according to German social work organizations with first-hand knowledge of the situation.

Many of the rapes are occurring in mixed-gender shelters, where, due to a lack of space, German authorities are forcing thousands of male and female migrants to share the same sleeping areas and restroom facilities.

Conditions for women and girls at some shelters are so perilous that females are being described as “wild game” fighting off Muslim male predators. But many victims, fearing reprisals, are keeping silent, social workers say.

At the same time, growing numbers of German women in towns and cities across the country are being raped by asylum seekers from Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Many of the crimes are being downplayed by German authorities and the national media, apparently to avoid fueling anti-immigration sentiments.

On August 18, a coalition of four social work organizations and women’s rights groups sent a two-page letter to the leaders of the political parties in the regional parliament in Hesse, a state in west-central Germany, warning them of the worsening situation for women and children in the refugee shelters. The letter said:

“The ever-increasing influx of refugees has complicated the situation for women and girls at the receiving center in Giessen (HEAE) and its subsidiaries.

“The practice of providing accommodations in large tents, the lack of gender-separate sanitary facilities, premises that cannot be locked, the lack of safe havens for women and girls — to name just a few spatial factors — increases the vulnerability of women and children within the HEAE. This situation plays into the hands of those men who assign women a subordinate role and treat women traveling alone as ‘wild game’.

“The consequences are numerous rapes and sexual assaults. We are also receiving an increasing number of reports of forced prostitution. It must be stressed: these are not isolated cases.

“Women report that they, as well as children, have been raped or subjected to sexual assault. As a result, many women sleep in their street clothes. Women regularly report that they do not use the toilet at night because of the danger of rape and robbery on the way to the sanitary facilities. Even during daylight, passing through the camp is a frightful situation for many women.

“Many women — in addition to fleeing wars or civil wars — are also on the run for gender-related reasons, including the threat of forced marriage or genital mutilation. These women who face special risks, especially when they are on the run alone or with their children. Even if they are accompanied by male relatives or acquaintances, this does not always ensure protection against violence because it can also lead to specific dependencies and sexual exploitation.

“Most female refugees have experienced a variety of traumatizing experiences in their country of origin and while on the run. They are victims of violence, kidnappings, torture, rape and extortion — sometimes over periods of several years.

“The feeling to have arrived here — in safety — and to be able to move without fear, is a gift for many women…. We therefore ask you…to join our call for the immediate establishment of protected premises (locked apartments or houses) for women and children who are travelling alone….

“These facilities must be equipped so that men do not have access to the premises of the women, with the exception of emergency workers and security personnel. In addition bedrooms, lounges, kitchens and sanitary facilities must be interconnected so that they form a self-contained unit — and thus can only be reached via lockable and monitored access to the house or the apartment.”

After several blogs (here, here and here) drew attention to the letter, the LandesFrauenRat (LFR) Hessen, a women’s lobbying group that originally uploaded the politically incorrect document to its website, abruptly removed it on September 14, without explanation.

The problem of rapes and sexual assaults in German refugee shelters is a nationwide problem.

In Bavaria, women and girls housed at a refugee shelter in Bayernkaserne, a former military base in Munich, are subject to rape and forced prostitution on a daily basis, according to women’s rights groups. Although the facility has separate dorm rooms for women, the doors cannot be locked and men control access to the sanitary facilities.

Approximately 80% of the refugees/migrants at the shelter are male, according to Bavarian Broadcasting (Bayerischer Rundfunk), which reports that the price for sex with female asylum seekers is ten euros. A social worker described the facility this way: “We are the biggest brothel in Munich.”

Police insist they have no proof that the rapes are taking place, although a police raid on the facility found that guards hired to provide security at the site were trafficking drugs and weapons and were turning a blind eye to the prostitution.

On August 28, a 22-year-old Eritrean asylum seeker was sentenced to one year and eight months in prison for attempting to rape a 30-year-old Iraqi-Kurdish woman at a refugee shelter in the Bavarian town of Höchstädt. The reduced sentence was thanks to the efforts of the defense attorney, who persuaded the judge that the defendant’s situation at the shelter was hopeless: “For a year now he sits around and thinks about — about nothingness.”

On August 26, a 34-year-old asylum seeker attempted to rape a 34-year-old woman in the laundry room of a refugee facility in Stralsund, a city near the Baltic Sea.

On August 6, police revealed that a 13-year-old Muslim girl was raped by another asylum seeker at a refugee facility in Detmold, a city in west-central Germany. The girl and her mother reportedly fled their homeland to escape a culture of sexual violence; as it turns out, the man who raped the girl is from their country.

Although the rape took place in June, police kept silent about it for nearly three months, until local media published a story about the crime. According to an editorial comment in the newspaper Westfalen-Blatt, police are refusing to go public about crimes involving refugees and migrants because they do not want to give legitimacy to critics of mass migration.

Police chief Bernd Flake countered that the silence was aimed at protecting the victim. “We will continue with this policy [of not informing the public] whenever crimes are committed in refugee facilities,” he said.

Over the weekend of June 12-14, a 15-year-old girl housed at a refugee shelter in Habenhausen, a district in the northern city of Bremen, was repeatedly raped by two other asylum seekers. The facility has been has been described as a “house of horrors” due to the spiraling violence perpetrated by rival gangs of youth from Africa and Kosovo. A total of 247 asylum seekers are staying at the shelter, which has a capacity for 180 and a cafeteria with seating for 53.

Meanwhile, the raping of German women by asylum seekers is becoming commonplace. Following are a few select cases just from 2015:

On September 11, a 16-year-old girl was raped by an unidentified “dark-skinned man speaking broken German” close to a refugee shelter in the Bavarian town of Mering. The attack occurred while the girl was walking home from the train station.

On August 13, police arrested two Iraqi asylum seekers, aged 23 and 19, for raping an 18-year-old German woman behind a schoolyard in Hamm, a city in North Rhine-Westphalia.

On July 26, a 14-year-old boy was sexually assaulted inside the bathroom of a regional train in Heilbronn, a city in southwestern Germany. Police are looking for a “dark skinned” man between the ages of 30 and 40 who has an “Arab appearance.” Also on July 26, a 21-year-old Tunisian asylum seeker raped a 20-year-old woman in the Dornwaldsiedlung district of Karlsruhe. Police kept the crime secret until August 14, when a local paper went public with the story.

On June 9, two Somali asylum seekers, aged 20 and 18, were sentenced to seven-and-a-half years in prison for raping a 21-year-old German woman in Bad Kreuznach, a town in Rhineland-Palatinate, on December 13, 2014.

On June 5, a 30-year-old Somali asylum seeker called “Ali S” was sentenced to four years and nine months in prison for attempting to rape a 20-year-old woman in Munich. Ali had previously served a seven-year sentence for rape, and had been out of prison for only five months before he attacked again. In an effort to protect the identity of Ali S, a Munich newspaper referred to him by the more politically correct “Joseph T.”

On May 22, a 30-year-old Moroccan man was sentenced to four years and nine months in prison for attempting to rape a 55-year-old woman in Dresden. On May 20, a 25-year-old Senegalese asylum seeker was arrested after he attempted to rape a 21-year-old German woman at the Stachus, a large square in central Munich.

On April 16, a 21-year-old asylum seeker from Iraq was sentenced to three years and ten months in prison for raping a 17-year-old girl at festival in the Bavarian town of Straubing in August 2014. On April 7, a 29-year-old asylum seeker was arrested for the attempted rape of a 14-year-old girl in the town of Alzenau.

On March 17, two Afghan asylum seekers aged 19 and 20 were sentenced to five years in prison for the “particularly abhorrent” rape of a 21-year-old German woman in Kirchheim, a town near Stuttgart, on August 17, 2014.

On February 11, a 28-year-old asylum seeker from Eritrea was sentenced to four years in prison for raping a 25-year-old German woman in Stralsund, along the Baltic Sea, in October 2014.

On February 1, a 27-year-old asylum seeker from Somalia was arrested after attempting to rape women in the Bavarian town of Reisbach.

On January 16, a 24-year-old Moroccan immigrant raped a 29-year-old woman in Dresden.

Dozens of other cases of rape and attempted rape — cases in which police are specifically looking for foreign perpetrators (German police often refer to them as Südländer, or “southerners”) — remain unresolved. Following is a partial list just for August 2015:

On August 23, a “dark skinned” man attempted to rape a 35-year-old woman in Dortmund. On August 17, three male “southerners” attempted to rape a 42-year-old woman in Ansbach. On August 16, a male “southerner” raped a woman in Hanau.

On August 12, a male “southerner” attempted to rape a 17-year-old woman in Hannover. Also on August 12, a male “southerner” exposed himself to a 31-year-old woman in Kassel. Police say a similar incident occurred in the same area on August 11.

On August 10, five men of “Turkish origin” attempted to rape a girl in Mönchengladbach. Also on August 10, a male “southerner” raped a 15-year-old girl in Rinteln. On August 8, a male “southerner” attempted to rape a 20-year-old woman in Siegen.

On August 3, a “North African” raped a seven-year-old girl in broad daylight in a park in Chemnitz, a city in eastern Germany. On August 1, a male “southerner” attempted to rape a 27-year-old woman in downtown Stuttgart.

Meanwhile, parents are being warned to look after their daughters. Police in the Bavarian town of Mering, where a 16-year-old-girl was raped on September 11, have issued a warning to parents not to allow their children to go outside unaccompanied. They have also advised women not to walk to or from the train station alone because of its proximity to a refugee shelter.

In the Bavarian town of Pocking, administrators of the Wilhelm-Diess-Gymnasium have warned parents not to let their daughters wear revealing clothing in order to avoid “misunderstandings” with the 200 Muslim refugees housed in emergency accommodations in a building next to the school. The letter said:

“The Syrian citizens are mainly Muslim and speak Arabic. The refugees have their own culture. Because our school is directly next to where they are staying, modest clothing should be worn in order to avoid disagreements. Revealing tops or blouses, short shorts or miniskirts could lead to misunderstandings.”

A local politician quoted by Die Welt newspaper said:

“When Muslim teenage boys go to open air swimming pools, they are overwhelmed when they see girls in bikinis. These boys, who come from a culture where for women it is frowned upon to show naked skin, will follow girls and bother them without their realizing it. Naturally, this generates fear.”

The increase in sex crimes in Germany is being fueled by the preponderance of Muslim males among the mix of refugees/migrants entering the country.

• Mo Jakes

So my suggestion Editor is for Britain to have a women only policy for the so called migrant crisis by allowing one or two million women from Syria to settle here. But you would not agree to this now would you?

• Mo Jakes
  • Ben

I have loads of clothes for them but don’t know how to give to them

• Steven Underwood

I ask this as a genuine question – I am not wanting to be controversial or reactionary – but why can’t the migrants at Calais claim asylum in France? Surely providing food and supplies for the camps at Calais is just giving the means for people to put their lives at risk? If they are genuine asylum seekers – they can claim asylum in France and once they have been accepted they will, eventually, get travel documents that allow them to come to Britain as EU citizens. I have worked with many illegal immigrants in the UK (I work in cancer/end of life care) – and I can assure you many, who enter the UK illegally and live in the ‘hidden’ economy is cities like London also put themselves at risk of exploitation – often from people from their own culture whom they go to for ‘help’.

To my mind, supporting the camps is like giving a street homeless person a pound – to make yourself feel better about yourself, but in reality just reinforces behaviour which keeps people on the streets (and before anyone judges me – I have a knife scar on my right hand from two years working with the homeless) indiscriminate giving causes more problems than it solves!

• Felix

Mo, at last you reveal yourself! How come a Daily Mail reader is contributing to a Positive News discussion? The two publications are incompatible; one is right-wing, xenophobic and sensationalist, the other independent, progressive and compassionate. I suggest that you give up the former!

• Steven Underwood

Thanks for this – it is useful. But I think there is an elephant in the room when it comes to opening up the borders of Europe. People often come here because they are failed by their own culture – cultures which have very different norms and values to our own – and they are often cultures where corruption is part of life and the treatment of and attitude to women, minorities and Western values is appalling. Many want the advantages of Western, liberal democracy, but on their terms – and with scant regard for the responsibilities that come with them.

As for attitudes to women and abusive sexual practices, curiously, the countries in the world with the highest levels of pornography downloading aren’t the wishy-washy liberal secular democracies of northern Europe – no, it’s your conservative religious societies where porn is consumed in large quantities (in Europe Poland leads the Western world – followed by Bible Belt America – but it is Islamic societies where we see the highest levels of Porn downloading – Pakistan see: http://gizmodo.com/heres-all-the-dirty-details-on-americas-thriving-porn-1208587525 and http://postober.com/general/top-10-countries-that-watch-the-most-porn/# ).

It’s okay having nice liberal values – helping those in unfortunate circumstances – but we have to ask about the wisdom of allowing large numbers of people from an alien culture into Europe – particularly when the results haven’t always been positive in the recent past. We have to ask why it is that Hindu and Sikh Indians/Ugandan and Kenyan Asians have come to the UK and have assimilated well – whilst retaining their own culture – and have quickly become the haves in our society.

Yet we find Muslims over represented in our prisons: almost 15% of the prison population is Muslim, even though Muslims only make up 4.5% of the population. Yes, some of this can be explained by demographics – the Muslim population is younger in the UK and younger people tend to commit more crime – and there are structural reason (Muslims are more likely to live in areas where there gang cultures – exacerbated by lack of jobs/opportunities) – but this doesn’t wholly explain why Muslims are massively disproportionately over-represented in our prisons.

I believe the ‘kafir’ factor plays a part – i.e. it doesn’t matter if you commit a crime if the victim is ‘kafir’ (a non-Muslim) – or it is criminal activity that only affects the kafir (e.g. I’ve known a Salafi Muslim who also worked as a drug dealer!). You only have to look at the local papers where there is a large Muslim community and again and again, you see a disproportionate number of Muslims involved in crime – (e.g. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/thirteen-drug-dealers-jailed-after-10073786). And of course there is the strange anomaly that a supposedly conservative, religious culture has produced a massively disproportionate number of gangs of Muslim men who have prayed on vulnerable girls (e.g. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article4281591.ece; http://metro.co.uk/2012/05/09/rochdale-grooming-ring-nine-men-jailed-over-attacks-418718/; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28934963; http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/oxford-grooming-370-children-abused-by-gangs-after-senior-police-and-social-workers-ignored-very-10082344.html ).

Where we see Muslim communities gain political power we also see corruption (e.g. http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/02/tower-hamlets-mayor-lutfur-rahman-accused-electoral-fraud-corruption-high-court) – oddly enough academic studies have shown that the more religious a society or community, the more corrupt that society or community http://epapers.bham.ac.uk/view/series/RaD_Working_Papers_Series.html. I know terrorism is rare – but still again, we haven’t had Indians or Chinese or Poles blowing themselves up on the tube have we?

Given Indians, Chinese, Afro-Caribbeans, East Europeans, etc. come to the UK and (in the main) have just got on with it, we have to ask searching questions about the wisdom of allowing more Muslims in Europe. Particularly when at present, many are ignoring European law and bullying their way to get what they want – and please remember, many of those who came to Europe via Turkey were safe – and choose to put their lives at risk (and paid out more money than I could) to cross to Europe.

I think Europe is storing up for itself a very difficult future. Obviously any compassionate person is distressed by the waves of migrants coming to Europe – but just allowing them in, no policies produced re: assimilation or questions asked about what makes so many Islamic societies basket cases or why Muslims continue to be over represented in our prisons, etc. is foolish.

I have never voted Tory in my life, but I think the only person talking sense at present on this issue, is David Cameron – and I also think this issue could be what sways the vote for the UK to leave Europe. At present, unless the EU comes up with workable solutions, I am afraid I think I’d vote to leave – because this is just a mess that will get worse not better unless there are some tough decisions made and we wake up to the reality that you can’t just accept large numbers from alien cultures, without some problems.

• Phil

Get behind this campaign to provide suitable shelter, community buildings & schools if you really want to help. http://igg.me/at/refugeewinteraid/x/12429915

• jasmine
  • jasmine

Hi all,

we are going to Calais on Saturday (31.10.15)

we are currently collecting everything in one place in Maidenhead. Your welcome to drop off the items.

we need warm clothes, duvets, blankets, shoes, jackets toothbushes, razors, medical supplies.

Perhaps you would like to donate your time and heart. please do get in touch on email below.

[email protected]

thanks

• daima akahindo

get a job.

• Tricia

Thank you for that insight Simon. The situation is such a quandary. Such a mess – and getting worse! So much suffering. It’s good to read other perspectives. Having an open mind and trying to have open eyes is so important. I find it so shocking that this situation has been allowed to get so bad. As you say it’s not exactly been sprung on us. Badly managed to the point of shameful political negligence. The levels of exploitation are immense, there are many innocents caught up in it, not to mention children dying. It’s heartbreaking, anger inducing and bloody confusing.